The staff at the GRCC is committed to environmentally responsible practices, and the GRCC is certified Virginia Green by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Green practices include the following:
- Active recycling of paper, plastic, aluminum, cardboard, glass, grease, toner cartridges, batteries, newspaper and fluorescent lamps
- Elimination of Styrofoam and reduction of disposables
- Water-efficient practices including filters, low-flow faucet aerators, low-flow toilets and drought-resistant landscaping
- Energy conservation such as fluorescent lighting, state-of-the-art HVAC and lighting energy management systems
- Energy practices based on event schedules to minimize usage during non-peak times
- Support of green conferences and events by providing recycling containers, walking maps and green-certified cleaning products
- Replacing high-wattage lighting fixtures and installing LED bulbs where possible
This environmental commitment is actively communicated to meeting and event planners as well as visitors.